Behind the Moves FAQs
How do I place a book order?
Behind the Moves can only be ordered online at nhlgms.com – so you’re at the right place! Click on Buy the Book and you will be directed to the online ordering page. If you have any further questions email email@example.com
What stores carry Behind the Moves?
The book is not sold in any stores. It can only be purchased at www.nhlgms.com
Is Behind the Moves available in digital download or ebook format?
There is not a digital or downloadable version of Behind the Moves available for purchase. As with circaNow’s other books, a set number of high-end books are produced and sold and then it’s on to the next unique project. Many readers have commented how elegant Behind the Moves is, how beautifully laid out the contents are and how substantial a volume it is ― it is best enjoyed in-hand, not on-screen. Also, the Limited Editions are hand-signed and numbered by prominent NHL GMs and become treasured collectibles which don’t lend themselves to a digital format.
What are the different Behind the Moves product choices do I have?
|($US and $CAN pricing at par)||
(signed and numbered by an NHL GM)
(book including wall chart)
Deluxe GM Package
|Deluxe GM Package includes:|
|Behind the Moves book|
|NHL GM Statistical Register 1926-27 to 2010-2011||(not sold seperately)|
|Timeline of NHL GMs wall chart||(not sold seperately)|
|Genealogy of NHL GMs poster||(not sold seperately)|
|Limited Editions hand-signed by:|
|Toronto Maple Leafs||Brian Burke|
|Detroit Red Wings||Ken Holland and Jim Devellano|
|Colorado Avalanche||Pierre Lacroix|
|New Jersey Devils||Lou Lamoriello|
|Carolina Hurricanes||Jim Rutherford|
|Chicago Blackhawks||Stan Bowman|
|Pittsburgh||Ray Shero and Craig Patrick|
|Long Island||Bill Torrey|
|Legends||Glen Sather, Bill Torrey, Harry Sinden, Emile Francis|
The packaging on the Limited Edition versions are different from the base professional edition:
1) LE has a clothbound hardcover wrapped with a team-specific dust jacket and team GMs prominent on back cover
2) LE has a bound-in vellum sheet, with team branding and then hand-signed and numbered by a GM (in the leafs edition, Brian Burke; other prominent GMs for the other 11 LE versions)
3) LE includes the GM timeline wall chart
Why is the book so expensive?
Ultimately only you can be the judge of what Behind the Moves is worth to you… however, here are some things to consider:
- ‘labor of love’: almost 60,000 miles travel last year alone (over 30 cities in 20 states/provinces) spending countless time, and recording over 120 hours of interviews, with GMs
- high quality, coffee table book: oversized at 10×12″ with 252 pages packed with information, not fluffy analysis and commentary
- eco-friendly production: printed using Forrest Certified papers/inks/bindings and fully produced in North America (not overseas)
- direct access to the greatest NHL GM minds alive today, without being subject to sanitization by team PR staffs or NHL editors
- all new content, no regurgitation of information like so many sports books
- complete NHL GM statistics which have never been compiled/published before
- unique photos and artifacts from the GM private collections; new images from the Hockey Hall of Fame; photos of the NHL GM’s actual Stanley Cup rings back to the 1950s
Overwhelmingly positive reaction (a sampling of comments below)
Independent book reviewers
- “Behind the Moves is a fascinating account of the role of the manager, the history of the position, how they got their jobs and who influenced them. It is an absolutely fantastic coffee table book.” ― John Shannon, Rogers Sportsnet
- “Behind the Moves is an amazing book. The presentation quality is high, and the content is even better… The author masterfully paints a picture of each topic with the managers’ own words. Every page offers a surprise… Behind The Moves is the most impressive undertaking in hockey literature I have ever seen.” ― hockeybookreviews.com
- “My all-time favorite hockey book, and I’ve read hundreds of them.” ― Shane Malloy, host on Sirius XM – NHL Home Ice
- “I’m glad my husband went to work early and missed Behind the Moves on TV last week. Now that I have it, I know it will be his best Christmas present.” ― Kathryn W., Fergus, Ontario
- “When I first heard about Behind the Moves, I thought this was going to be some kind of book…….I am absolutely in awe of the end result…..I truly love the stories, gossip, quotes, notes and more from the GMs…….The author’s first book with Jim Robson was great, his second with Cesare Maniago was great, the Canucks Captains book was great but Behind the Moves is superb, fantastic, incredible etc. etc. etc…….it is a very special addition to my library of hockey books.” ― Andrew C., Ladner, BC
- “Behind the Moves truly is an incredible piece of work!” ― Rick J., Pittsburgh, PA
- “Behind the Moves is so ultimately fascinating, so eye-opening, so in-depth, and so unlike any book I‘ve ever seen… I couldn’t turn away from this book.” ― Dennis K., Victoria, BC
Why is the shipping so expensive?
The shipping costs reflect the fact that Behind the Moves is a substantial book in size and weight. A single book with protective packaging for safe transport, weighs 4.8 lbs (2.2 kg); the Deluxe GM package weighs even more. Because Behind the Moves is a valuable book, all deliveries are done using a tracking number in order to ensure proper delivery. circaNow Media does not seek to make money on shipping & handling, in fact on average we tend to lose a couple of dollars per shipment (depending on the exact destination).